Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11

I will never forget where I was the morning of September 11, ten years ago today.  I was taking a test in my Mental Health Nursing class.  Our professor came in and told us what had happened, and I remember that some of us thought she was making it up as part of the class somehow.  We soon realized it was no illustration, but that it was most certainly for real.  My classmates started dialing their cell phones in the hallway, trying to reach family members and friends who were either in the NY area or in the military.  We were dismissed early, and most of us went straight to our dorm rooms to sit in front of the news all day long, watching it all unfold.  I remember being struck that I take for granted the fact that I am privileged and blessed to live in a "secure" and "safe" country where terrorist attacks don't happen.  I remember being scared that this was the beginning of a major war that would possible jeopardize the future safety of us all.  I remember being numb and without emotion at first as we watched the number of people killed just continue to rise.  I do actually remember my roommate (and close friend) and I talking about the men who carried out these attacks, and how sad it was that they were willing to die for a lie...and that they died without Jesus....and also how hard it was to feel compassion for them.  Only God's grace can provide such compassion.  Side note:  It's funny, though, how people who don't believe as I do probably think it's sad that I might be willing to die for what they believe is a lie, too. 

I saw this quote on John Piper's Facebook page this afternoon, and it struck me to the core:

Jesus' sure word to me on 9/11: Do not be amazed that the towers fell. Be amazed that they didn't fall on you. (Luke 13:1-5)

And here's what Luke 13:1-5 says:

1There were some present at that very time who told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. 2And he answered them, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered in this way? 3No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish. 4Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them: do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem? 5No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish."

Wow.  Now that's certainly food for thought...straight from the Word of God.  There are so many theories out there about "Why would this happen?"  And I am sure there are those that think God caused this to happen as a way of punishing sinners.  Who knows.  I don't believe that is the case, but I certainly am not going to try to claim to understand the ways of God. Isaiah 55:8-9

8For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
   neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
   so are my ways higher than your ways
   and my thoughts than your thoughts.

I don't believe the Scripture from Luke is emphasizing the fact that those who were killed deserved what happened to them because of their sin.  What struck me, and I believe what we all need to understand, is that when you get right down to it, I deserved to be killed by those planes or by the falling rubble of the towers as they came crashing down.  It is only God's grace and mercy that saved me and anyone else that is still walking around on this Earth.  And, it is only God's grace and mercy that caused those who died in Christ that day to stand before Holy God boldly knowing they would be with Him for eternity.  This Scripture is not a warning to repent or you will have something horrible happen to you while you are living on the Earth...in my interpretation.  It is a warning to stop judging, stop seeing yourself as being more deserving of the good things in your life than those around you, and repent of your self-reliance...because unless you acknowledge your need for Christ, when you die, you will perish.  Now, I am assured I will be with God in eternity because I have put my hope in Christ, so I am not concerned that I have to please God or perish.  But, this verse is definitely a huge reminder to me of where I would be apart from Christ.  I am not even close to being as able to save myself and please God as I oftentimes think I am.  It is a reminder to me of how self-reliant I often am, and how in need I am of a Savior.  Oh, how I need these reminders.  I do pray that as America remembers 9/11 and ponders again where God is in suffering, our hearts will be graciously pointed back to our need for Christ.  He alone is our hope.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Great humbling, God-exalting (as opposed to America-exalting) thought for 9/11, thanks for sharing!