Friday, September 2, 2011

Because everybody else is doing it?

So, I am starting another blog...hesitantly.  Why I am doing this?  There are several reasons:
  • I am a verbal processor.  My husband and whatever friend I am with at the moment usually receive the effects of my being this way.  I think that maybe after 5 years of marriage Daniel understands a little more often that everything that comes out of my mouth does not need to be taken as a fact or as a statement...but more as a consideration, or a thought.  Bless his heart.  I talk a lot....seriously, a lot.  And he listens so well.  Just in case you didn't know, usually when you talk a lot, you don't listen very well...unless you're much further in your character growth than I am!  Anyway, I also process thoughts well through writing, when talking isn't an option, and I used to journal pretty regularly.  But, in the age of computers, I can type my thoughts much more quickly and with less hand cramping than I can write them...so, I thought I'd give it a whirl.
  • My husband and friends have encouraged me by pointing out to me that God has gifted me in certain ways that have led to them being encouraged by hearing my thoughts.  So, even though it is hard for me to believe that because to me my thoughts are way too messed up to be encouraging most of the time, I thought I would step out there and trust that maybe they are telling me the truth!  Seriously, I believe there is a very fine line to walk between arrogantly thinking you have something to say (which I sadly do often...goes along with my personality and my flesh), and also knowing that your imperfect arrogant self can be used by God if you will put yourself out there...imperfections, arrogance, and all.
  • I'm excited about being able to choose a blog background and color scheme that I don't have to try to make gender neutral!  I always have to think about that with our family blog...but not with this one!
  • It will be fun to have a blog that I can just write on...without the need to post pictures and videos.
  • Hopefully this is will also give me an outlet to share not only my thoughts, but also fun things that I enjoy doing with my time.
  • Not to replace community.  My fear is that blogging my thoughts will decrease my desire to have an actual conversation with a friend, or my husband.  So, that is something I am going to be self-assessing periodically.  If it ever seems to be replacing my desire for true community, it's gone.
  • Not because everyone else is doing it...although, that's certainly where I got the idea!  I'm certainly not trying to compete for the most-visited blog spot or anything...but I love reading other people's blogs and find it encouraging, so I thought maybe I would enjoy writing, too!

Okay, enough about my reasons...I was going to be on to my first real blog post now...but my little toddler thinks otherwise. 

2 comments:

Sarah Rose said...

Duski, I am SO EXCITED to see this! I was just reading some old posts on your other blog yesterday and so enjoying it... this is a treat. Hooray!

Anita Kay said...

Yay for a new blog! :)